21 September, 2011

How do you choose between two loves?


Two words. Tenacity and Compromise. 

I love this movie. Aside from being a huge fan of the incredibly likeable Sarah Jessica Parker, who plays the movie's lead role Kate Reddy, this movie speaks volumes to me.  

I was excited to watch it as soon as I saw the trailer.  I could relate to Kate and completely understand her emotional turmoil to be physically and emotionally present for her children AND fulfilling her professional dream at the same time.

I love my kids.  I love my job.  How do I choose between 2 things that I love?  Must I make a choice?

As always, LIFE throws you curve balls, and watched while you agonize over your decision to choose or compromise.  The invitation to the movie preview fell on the same day as the annual Mid-Autumn Festival at my son's school.  This festival was a big event for the school and was organized by the Parent Support Group (PSG or PTA equivalent).  It was a major fundraising opportunity for the PSG as well as a chance for families to bond. 

As a parent volunteer who had reduced my volunteer hours due to work commitments, I had promised the PSG committee that I would help out at this event.  I had even made plans to put in my hours manning the game station, and then spent quality fun time with my kids at the Festival.  

With the movie preview, these plans had to be revised.  The night before the Festival, I sat down with my kids and helper (my husband was out of town - remember the curve ball?) and we discussed the 'new' plans.  

Like an army sergeant, I gave them their marching orders.

My son will bring his mobile phone to school so that he can call me and know where to find me after school is out at 5pm.  I will be at school at 3:30pm to help with setting-up of the game stall.  My helper and my daughter will leave the house at 4:30pm and join me in school at 5pm. 

All parties have to regroup at 6:30pm and we have to absolutely leave the school at 6:45pm for me to drop them home.  That would give me a comfortable 30 minutes to rush downtown from the East, in time for the movie preview.  

On that day, it was all systems go.  Things went according to plan, except for one minor detail.  I had forgotten to instruct them where to meet me at 6:30pm.  As I frantically dialled both my son and helper's phone numbers, I was scanning the faces of the hundreds of students and adults milling around the school, hoping it will be them.  And of course, they were not and they were not answering their phones.  Darn it!  We are on the clock here, people!

I could feel my panic button being pushed, as I tried to focus my thoughts and think of contingency plans.  Then on the sixth try, my helper answered her phone.  And miraculously, my son was with her!  Yea! We are only five minutes behind.  

"But Mom! We still have to redeem our prizes!" cried my son.  We rushed to the redemption room, picked out the prize and sped off to the car park.  By the time I dropped them home, I had only 15 minutes to get to my movie preview.  This was no easy task considering that I'll be driving in after-office-hours traffic on a Friday.

I Don't Know How She Does It © 2011 The Weinstein Co.
I'm happy to say that I got to the preview breathless, but with a minute to spare. And yes! I bribed the children with cotton candy and home movie so I could have a night out with my friend to watch this preview.


"I Don't Know How She Does It" opens on 22 Sep with a stellar cast Sarah Jessica Parker, Greg Kinnear, Pierce Brosnan, Olivia Munn, Seth Meyers, Kelsey Grammer, Christina Hendricks and Jane Curtin 


No comments:

Post a Comment